Sunday, September 28, 2008

Dev Anand the Eternal Hero


I am sure most of us wish Dev Anand's filmography - at the bottom of this page - stopped with Des Pardes that came out in 1978. Dev Anand was begining to look old and his mannerisms were getting too pronounced, even so, no mean achievement for someone who was close to 60 then. It was the right time to hang up his boots, a phrase that Dev Saab never knew.

I looked through his filmography and tried to tick the movies I had seen, and found my memory playing tricks with me. Some of this movies I have seen on Doordarshan in bits and pieces and find I cannot remember entirely. I can remember the songs of many of these movies and associate them immediately because I can recollect the drone of the announcer on AIR saying 'Ab suniye Afsar film ka gana, Suriya ki awaz me jise likha hai ... ne, sangeet nirdeshak hain ... ' After a tiresome list of sunnewale, the melodious voice of Suriya would sing - Man mor hua matwala. What songs they are. I am tempted to list them right here, but I think they should come after some movie talk.

The first movie on the list that I have seen is Baazi, a romatic thriller made by Guru Dutt. But alas, do not remember much. I remember Jaal very well. It is not a movie one can forget in a hurry. In Jaal Dev Anand played a tough crook bent upon cheating and looting. Geeta Bali is drawn to him and falls for him helplessly, she realises that when she is roused from her sleep to the sound of him singing - Yeh raat yeh chandni phir kahan, sun ja dil ki dastan. This song alone is worth the price of the DVD, though the movie is good too, a classic. There is some wonderful play of shadow and light in this song. You can see why Geeta Bali was so special here. You can also see how devastatingly handsome Dev was then. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRfVXUk9kFw

Patita with Usha Kiron was another movie with some social message, she was (or pretended to be) an unwed mother here. I dont remember how the movie ended, I think the Mother of the boy - Lalita Pawar was the one who threw spanner in the works, but the songs were to die for.

"Kisine Apne Banaake Mujko Muskurana Sikha Diya"
"Andhe Jahaan Ke Andhe Raaste Jaayen To Jaayen Kahaan"
"Yaad Kiya Dil Ne Kahan ho Tum"

and the toppers

"Mitti Se Khelte Ho Baar Baar Kisliye"
"Hai Sabse Madhur Woh Geet Jinhe Ham Dard Ke Sur Mein Gaate Hain"

I have seen Pocketmaar, which starred Geeta Bali, Dev and the ubiquitous baddie KN Singh, it was a good movie.

CID is not to be missed, for the debut of Waheeda Rehman, for the lovely songs, for the handsome Dev Anand, for it was a slick thriller.

"Jaata Kahaan Hai Deewaane"
"leke pehla pehla pyaar"
"aankhon hi aankhon me ishara ho gaya"
"e dil he mushkil jeena yahan"

1958 to 1965 - This was the glorious period of the rising star Dev Anand, he was young and in his element. The filmmakers of this era were good and made good wholesome romantic comedies. Dev Anand was the consummate flirt, circling his heroine, looking into her eyes, touching her hair, enough to make any woman swoon. No wonder he was such a heartthrob.

I feel I have seen Paying Guest, Love Marriage, Bambai ka Babu, but dont recollect them so much. They pass me by in a blur of lovely songs, with Dev Anand always, always, romancing his heroines.

Hum Dono is another unforgettable movie. You got Dev Anand here in a double dose. As a rookie army officer Manohar and Major Anand. Manohar is sent to the family of Major Anand as a bearer of bad news of his being lost during war. Because they look so similar, Major Anand's distraught family thinks Manohar is Major Anand. For the sake of the sick wife, Nanda, Manohar plays along. He has to deal with own girlfriend, Sadhna who wonders why her beau is not attentive any more.

The songs? To die for - the timeless classic - Abhi na jao chod kar, ke dil abhi bhara nahi - is so beautifully choreographed that the images linger with you forever. Main zindagi ka saath nibhata chala gaya - deserves to be listened to closely for its zen philosophy. Allah tero naam is one of the best gandhian bhajan we have from hindi films.

Asli Naqli, Tere Ghar ke Samne are other two films I have watched. Asli Naqli brought the beautiful Sadhna together with Dev Anand once again. With numbers like koi sone ke dil wala (was it from this film?), Tujhe jiwan ki dor se, Tera mera pyar Amar the movie was a sureshot success.

What can one say about Tere Ghar ke Samne? It was one of those ultimate rom-coms. Dev Anand and Nutan light up the screen with their effervescence. The songs - oh the songs !

Yeh tanhaai haay re haay jaane phir aaye na aaye"
"Tu kahaan yeh bata, is nashili raat mein"
"Dil ka bhanvar kare pukaar" - my fave fave fave
"Dekho rootha na karo"
"Tere ghar ke saamne ik ghar banaoonga"
"Dil ki manzil kuchh aisi hai manzil"

This last song featured my mother as a dancer who had an 'item' in this movie.
you can see it here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N86Dv-bHAdA

Guide was the best of Dev Anand. It dared to go where no movie had been before, into marital discord, with the woman leaving her man. It explored the denegeration of a man, why love fails and even explores spirituality. Only Vijay Anand could have pulled off something like this.

"Aaj phir jeene ki tamanna hai"
"Gaata Rahe mera dil"
"piya tose naina laage re"
"din dhal jaaye hai" - (my fave- i will always maintain that Dev Anand looked his handomest in this song)
"kya se kya ho gaya"
"allah megh de"

If we divide Dev Anand's career into different phases, then the 40 - mid 50 would be the early phase with the romantic Suraiyya and Geeta Bali phase, mostly romatic thrillers and comedies. from '55 to '65 again some more romantic thrillers and comedies (but better) with Waheeda, Nutan and Sadhna, with some classics like Hum Dono, Tere Ghar ke Saamne and Guide. Then comes the third phase from '66 to '78 which started off well with thrillers and ended well with Des Pardes. Here he had co-stars like Vyjayanti mala, Hema Malini, Zeenat and Tina Munim. I am not going to talk about what comes after, because it was pure crap.

Jewel Thief was a slick thriller that released in 1967. I saw it much later in a re-re-re run during the times when reruns ran in theatres. I was taken in by the suspense totally and gasped quite like the original viewers who must have found the climax quite mindblowing. Vyjayantimala was exquisite, Ashok Kumar was the gentleman crook, there were a bevy of sexy females (oh well, in one peice swimsuits, but it was the 70s) and Dev Anand who was getting stylised now. His headshake, pursed lips and the hand gestures were popping up more often. The gorgeous songs were still melodious.
"Raat akeli hai, bujh gaye diye"
"Yeh dil na hota bechara"
"rula ke gaya sapna mera"
"Aasmaan ke neeche hum aaj apne peeche"
"Dil pukare aa re aare"
"Hoton pe aise baat"

Right on the heels of Jewel Thief came Johnny Mera Naam. The songs here were kinda chaalu, but the movie had the new star Hema Malini and a good story. It was Vijay Anand again, after Guide and Jewel Thief. Dev Anand mouthed 'Johnny mera naam, nahi' during the climax to the delight of his fans.

I have seen Mahal and Duniya - both passable fare. I think Mahal had a lovely song - but I cannot recollect it right now.

Prem Pujari was a war movie, well made and very watchable. With lovely songs like
"shokiyon me ghola jaye "
"Phoolon ke rang se, dil ki kalam se"

I have lost count of the number of times I saw Gambler. It used to be rerun endlessly on a fledgeling channel in the early days of cable television. The movie had lovely songs, ok story, Dev Anand in full tashan.

"Churi nahi ye mera dil hai"
"Dil aaj shayar hai" - wonderful wonderful song
I am not able to remember all the songs and the internet is not helping much, but a cd is totally worth buying, trust me.

Tere Mere Sapne was a sweet movie, an adaption of The Citadel by AJ Cronin, with some more lovely songs.
"Jaise Radha ne mala japi shyam ki"
"E maine kasam li"

Hare Raam Hare Krishan was again a bold movie, parents divorce, children seperate, sister turns up in picturesque Kathmandu with a bunch of druggie hippies. A gooood movie with an amazing debut by Zeenat who pulled on a chillum with panache. The songs were more disco, but Dum maro dum is something else. A must watch.

Yeh Gulistan Hamara was not half bad. Dev co-starred with Sharmila here, the songs not too good but ok sorts. Chuppa Rustam, a passable thriller with a good song - Dheere se jaana khaityan me.

After this, it was more or less just dragging on for Dev. The formula was set, exotic locales, good music (according to the times), a pretty nubile heroine. The movies like Heera Panna, Jaaneman, Bullet, Warrant were horrid to passable.

Des Pardes marked the debut of the last of great Dev Anand heroines - Tina Munim. The movie was well made and good. But after that - ugh - Avoid.

Even some of his chalu movies have been uplifted by divine songs. I have listed most of them, but missed many. Ok - internet helped finally, the Mahal song I was looking for is this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjXHB5Cj_zY
"Ankhon ankhon me dekho"
"Yeh duniya wale poochenge"

I once owned a cassette of Dev Anand songs... was great.

My wishlist: I wish to see Kala Pani, because it was the only movie where the two most beautiful people of the Hindi film industry came together, Madhubala and Dev Anand.

I wish to see Teen Deviyan because it starred him with Kalpana Kartik and had some of the most sublime songs ever.

"Khwab ho tum ya koi haqeeqat"
"Aise to na dekho"
and my top favorite -
"Kahin be-khyal ho kar"


I have to admit Dev's oeuvre is limited. His movies are mostly romantic comedies or romantic thrillers. Why was he up at the top of the charts along with Dilip Kumar and Raj Kapoor? I guess the answer is PURE CHARISMA. He had such a magnificent screen presence, that it was hard to forget him. His immaculate waistline and hairline took care of his longevity. He was always seemingly involved with his much much younger heroines, which reinforced his romantic image.
Though he was called the Gregory Peck of India, I beg to differ. With due respect to Mr. Peck, our Dev Anand has a niche of his own, the eternal romantic.



  1. Mr Prime Minister (2005)
  2. Love at Times Square (2003)
  3. Aman Ke Farishtey (2003)
  4. Censor (2001)
  5. Return of Jewel Thief (1996)
  6. Gangster (1994)
  7. Sau Crore (1991)
  8. Awwal Number (1990)
  9. Lashkar (1989)
  10. Sachché Ká Bol-Bálá (1989)
  11. Hum Naujawan (1985)
  12. Anand Aur Anand (1984)
  13. Swami Dada (1982)
  14. Man Pasand (1980)
  15. Lootmaar (1980)
  16. Des Pardes (1978)
  17. Darling Darling (1977)
  18. Kalabaaz (1977)
  19. Saheb Bahadur (1977)
  20. Bullet (1976)
  21. Jaaneman (1976)
  22. Warrant (1975)
  23. Amir Garib (1974)
  24. Ishq Ishq Ishq (1974)
  25. Prem Shastra (1974)
  26. Joshila (1973)
  27. Chhupa Rustam (1973)
  28. Banarasi Babu (1973)
  29. Heera Panna (1973)
  30. Shareef Budmaash (1973)
  31. Yeh Gulistan Hamara (1972)
  32. Haré Raama Haré Krishna (1971)
  33. Tere Mere Sapne (1971)
  34. Gambler (1971)
  35. Johny Mera Naam (1970)
  36. Prem Pujari (1970)
  37. The Evil Within (1970)
  38. Mahal (1969)
  39. Duniya (1968)
  40. Kahin Aur Chal (1968)
  41. Jewel Thief (1967)
  42. Pyar Mohabbat (1966)
  43. Guide (1965)
  44. Teen Devian (1965)
  45. Sharabi (1964)
  46. Kinare Kinare (1963)
  47. Tere Ghar Ke Samne (1963)
  48. Asli-Naqli (1962)
  49. Baat Ek Raat Ki (1962)
  50. Hum Dono (1961)
  51. Jab Pyar Kisise Hota Hai (1961)
  52. Maya (1961)
  53. Roop Ki Rani Choron Ka Raja (1961)
  54. Bombai Ka Babu (1960)
  55. Ek Ke Baad Ek (1960)
  56. Jaali Note (1960)
  57. Kala Bazar (1960)
  58. Manzil (1960)
  59. Sarhad (1960)
  60. Love Marriage (1959)
  61. Amar Deep (1958)
  62. Kalapani (1958)
  63. Solva Saal (1958)
  64. Baarish (1957)
  65. Dushman (1957)
  66. Nau Do Gyarah (1957)
  67. Paying Guest (1957)
  68. C.I.D. (1956)
  69. Funtoosh (1956)
  70. Pocket Maar (1956)
  71. Dev Anand in Goa (Alias Farar) (1955)
  72. House No. 44 (1955)
  73. Insaniyat (1955)
  74. Milap (1955)
  75. Munimji (1955)
  76. Baadbaan (1954)
  77. 'Ferry' (1954)
  78. Taxi Driver (1954)
  79. Armaan (1953)
  80. Humsafar (1953)
  81. Patita (1953)
  82. Rahi (1953)
  83. Aandhiyan (1952)
  84. Jaal (1952)
  85. Tamasha (1952)
  86. Zalzala (1952)
  87. Aaram (1951)
  88. Baazi (1951)
  89. Do Sitare (1951)
  90. Nadaan (1951)
  91. Sanam (1951)
  92. Sazaa (1951)
  93. Stage (1951)
  94. Afsar (1950)
  95. Birha Ki Raat (1950)
  96. Dilruba (1950)
  97. Hindustan Hamara (1950)
  98. Khel (1950)
  99. Madhubala (1950)
  100. Nili (1950)
  101. Nirala (1950)
  102. Jeet (1949)
  103. Shair (1949)
  104. Shayar (1949)
  105. Udhaar (1949)
  106. Hum Bhi Insaan Hain (1948)
  107. Vidya (1948)
  108. Ziddi (1948)
  109. Aage Badho (1947)
  110. Mohan (1947)
  111. Hum Ek Hain (1946)

25 comments:

  1. Avdi :))))
    This is so well written and comprehensive, that I have to respond before I leave (But I will be back.).
    Saw your mother's song, I am speechless; very nice.
    Loved all the tidbits, I shall bring mine as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Samir,

    The inspiration for this was the short discussion we had on S's post.

    I look forward to all of us, indeed anyone who reads this, putting forth their views on Dev Anand, and sharing links of what they have written about him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy Shit... I swear it did not reflect in my roll till I saw it now with '5 days ago' notice below that.. Came and it's too long to be read right now at this unearthly hour. Aata hun vapis..

    ReplyDelete
  4. loved reading ur memories avdi. unfortunately mine are only limited to the songs, have not watched too many movies of his (that i recall).

    i used to scoff at the gregory peck refn that my mom drilled into my head until i watched this song with geeta bali ... fogotten now what it was .... i think he was sitting on a tree branch and with a hat titled rakishly on his head. utterly gorgeous!! and dead ringer for gp!! ur mom is lovely ....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Posted my response to this tag.

    ReplyDelete
  6. :)))

    Am finally here :)

    That's your mom?? It is awesome

    And this is some mammoth post :) sorry for coming so so late....


    My fav Dev Anand movies wud be 3 Deviyaan, Bombay Ka Babu, Hum DOno, Hare Rama and many more...

    I just wish he retires now...that day I was watching his interviwe on NDTV and I must say he has an enigmatic personality even now...I have his Autobio...will read it soon :))

    Lovely post...will do the tag soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG Hun....u have some research skills and a ton of patience..and boy am I glad...lovely read!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. smita - thanks n luking fwd

    ange - it took me days ;0

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, loved your piece on Dev Anand--you write like a true fan. I am doing some research on Navketan, and was interested to know that your mother danced in that wonderful song in Tere Ghar Ke Saamne. Can you give me more details, such as if she danced in any other Navketan film?
    Also, a couple of errors--Jewel Thief is a 60s film and Madhubala and Dev Anand came in at least one more film, Jaali Note.
    thanks
    Sidharth

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sidharth - Thank you.

    My mother danced in only this film. She chose an alternate career after that. I would love to read your book on Navketan.

    Thanks a lot for the correction, I will incoroprate it. The IMDB filmography shows Jewel Thief was released in late 60s.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for your prompt reply. The research is moving on slowly, because many of the key people are no longer with us, but Dev Saab has a phenomenal memory (as his book shows) so I get some stuff there. Do you have any stories of your mom's one shoot for the film? (Wasn't Helen in that song too?)
    Sidharth

    ReplyDelete
  12. Will ask her and let you know. If you leave your email id here, I will forward you whatever I hear from her.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks vdi, my email is sidharth01@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Avdi

    Just to pick from where we left off some time ago.
    I saw Tere Ghar ke Saamne the other day as part of my research. The song you mention as the one where your mother danced is a lovely, upbeat number. I am keen to follow up on that and perhaps get a quote or two on it from your mother--do you think it will be possible?
    thanks
    Sidharth

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sidharth, I did write to my mother about this, but got no reply. Maybe she forgot or something. I will write again.

    BTW, to answer an earlier query, Helen wasnt in the dance. It was just my mother as the lead dancer.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks so much. Yes, Helen wasn't int hat dance--I must have got confused with Jewel Thief. Incidently, Jewel Thief is being shown at a special screening in Bombay tonight (30th July) where Dev Anand will be honoured.
    That song in Tere Ghar ke Saamne "Dil ki Manzil kuch aisi hi Manzil" is terrific, great music and dancing

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes the song is very charming. Dev Anand deserves that honor. He is simply amazing.. look at the generations that adore him. I have heard many of friends cal Raj Kapoor an 'uncle' but never ever Dev ! Everyone is unanimous about his charisma.

    If I were in Bombay I would surely attend the screening of Jewel Thief... but alas, I am located in Chandigarh.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sorry to bug, but any word from your mother re that song? I basically just want her memories of the shoot and the film (and any other film she may have done. Waqt?) It will help the Navketan project I am working on.
    thanks

    Sidharth

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sid. :) No fear, the minute I hear from her I will let you know. In fact I havent heard from her in a long while.

    ReplyDelete
  20. dev got meena seperated from amrohi too for a controversial scene in ''kinare kinare'' which meena did despite amrohi disapproval and they got seperated too with pakeeza plastered for 10 years -a rake he was......almost

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oz ; Now that makes him sound even more lovable.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The Death Anniversary of the Evergreen Superstar Shri #DevAnand was on 3rdDec. Let us all pay a heartfelt #tribute to him on dev-anand.tributes.in

    In case you wish to create a tribute for your loved ones as well, Please give us a missed call on +91-9643105042. Our associates will get in touch with you.
    You can also create a profile yourself on - www.tributes.in

    ReplyDelete
  23. How come I missed this post?
    It does make an interesting reading.
    Meanwhile, I think, you’ve watched many of the films featuring Dev, which you wished, you’d seen.
    When I was small I wanted to watch Patita, but never could. Now, after you’ve related the plot, haven’t much interest in it. The songs are very good, though!
    I haven’t seen Pocketmaar.
    I also haven’t seen Bambai ka Babu. Should remedy this mistake soon.
    By the way, there is typo in the post, You mention, that Kalpana Kartik features in Teen Deviyan (aur ek Dev), you mean the actress Kalpana of course.

    And of course, you know, that Dev is my favourite actor too. He could impart you with a feeling that everything will turn out all right.

    ReplyDelete
  24. It was written very long back, Harv. I had to re-read it as well. When I wrote it internet used to be really very slow. I can write another post covering his 70s movies like Warrant, Janeman etc. Dekhte hain.Thanks Harv.

    ReplyDelete