I saw him years ago in The Prince and the Showgirl, and I am afraid I did not like him much in that movie. I revised my opinion after I saw Rebecca and am currently hunting for any Laurence Olivier movie I can lay my hands upon.
|Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth Bennet|
|Mr.Collins proposes to Lizzy|
|Lady Catherine de Bourgh|
|Mr. Darcy being attentive to Elizabeth at Rosings|
|The first ill-worded proposal by Mr. Darcy|
|The happy ending in a lovely garden.|
A purist may frown at the liberties taken with the script. The overall effect of the movie is not spoiled, in my opinion. Some events were completely chopped, like Elizabeth visiting Pemberley which was such a major part of the novel. Lady Catherine is not so villain-ish here. I learn that the novel was set a little later in time so the characters could wear more ornate dresses. The clothes that the Bennet girls wear belie their reduced circumstances.
The movie is well made and completely entertaining. Greer Garson is wonderful as Elizabeth Bennet and Laurence Olivier looks very dashing as Mr. Darcy.
The actors are perfect in their role, I always felt Mrs. Bennet should be a very attractive woman as she is the mother of such lovely girls. I was glad to see a very attractive Mary Borland excel at playing Mrs. Bennet. Edmund Gwenn delivers the witty lines of Mr. Bennet with aplomb. In fact, it is hard for me to pick one favorite actor here, they are all so good.
Here is a list of the cast of the movie for the reader's reference, picked from the Wikipedia page of the movie.
- Greer Garson as Elizabeth Bennet
- Laurence Olivier as Fitzwilliam Darcy
- Mary Boland as Mrs. Bennet
- Edna May Oliver as Lady Catherine de Bourgh
- Maureen O'Sullivan as Jane Bennet
- Ann Rutherford as Lydia Bennet
- Frieda Inescort as Caroline Bingley
- Edmund Gwenn as Mr. Bennet
- Karen Morley as Charlotte Lucas Collins
- Heather Angel as Kitty Bennet
- Marsha Hunt as Mary Bennet
- Melville Cooper as Mr. Collins
- Edward Ashley Cooper as George Wickham
- Bruce Lester as Mr. Bingley
- E.E. Clive as Sir Willam Lucas
- Majorie Wood as Lady Lucas
- Vernon Downing as Captain Carter